Sunday, May 17, 2009

A new guest poster

I have a new guest speaker who might or might not be making some posts on here. This is the first one. Welcome Mr. BH!

Well, I was reading one of the local expat sites and there was actually a good thread on there and it wasn't deleted or sent to the hidden areas. It was about the first wave of expats to land here. And even more surprising were the number of well thought out posts on that thread. It actually captured a mood. Reminds me of the end of Fear and Loathing,were he talks about being in Frisco in the 60's and how it was.

You had to be there and it was a special time. A time I was proud to be a part of. It was a time of hope. It was a time were anything was possible and it was a time of unbelievable bullshit. The west bank of the 90's etc... artist heaven, etc... utter crap!

But what wasn't crap was the optimism. The commies were gone and for a few years, it was great. I can't think of anywhere else in the world I'd have rather been. I got out of Prague rather quickly, because the bullshit was concentrated there, not to say everyone was full of shit, but the ones who were hung out in Prague and I just couldn't handle them!

I love it when some stupid little punk fresh off the plane ready to tell me all about the czech republic and how wonderful it is calls me bitter. "Oh man, it's great! Everything is wonderful and beautiful here! blah blah blah" I just think to myself, "I see the Ignorance is Bliss Foundation has a new poster child."

I am bitter for a reason. I saw what could have been and is now lost forever.



PS: I remember the waterbed man! Ubiquities, Pragnosis, no orange juice and the cops being really cool. They were almost sorry they were cops and went out of their way to be helpful. I met some cool people then and often wonder what happened to them. Some of them were on the fringe and I hope they aren't laying in a casket with scars on their wrists or bouncing off the white rubber walls in their white room.

No comments: